Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving Day Parade float = major fail

     During the Thanksgiving day Parade I noticed a float called Castle of Dreams created by My Princess Academy. Along with their cute float they had Keri Hilson perform a song called “Pretty Girl Rock”. After hearing just a few sentences from her song…that seemed completely inappropriate for the float I had to look up the website. On their website they encourage the following beliefs: In order to be a My Princess Academy princess you must learn the 4 pillars of "Real Princesses" - Generosity, Intelligence, Beauty and Confidence.



     This is quoted directly from their website for the parents: “Girls have always dreamed of becoming Princesses...In the past, that meant they were shown a beautiful, idealized version of a Princess and told to go imitate her. But something was missing. Girls were never shown how to be their own kind of Princess their best selves, defined not only by physical beauty but by inner beauty.”



     So back to the song that was performed on the float. It was called “Pretty Girl Rock” by Keri Hilson and I’m going to highlight some of the lines that stood out to me.

My name is Keri, I’m so very
Fly, oh my, it’s a li’l bit scary
Boys wanna marry, looking at my derri-ere, you can stare but if you touch it ima bury

Pretty as a picture
Sweeter than a swisher
Mad cause I’m cuter than the girl that is with ya

I ain’t gotta talk about it baby you can see it
But if you want ill be happy to repeat it

All eyes on me when I walk in,
No question that this girl’s a 10 Don’t hate me cause I’m beautiful. Don’t hate me cause I’m beautiful. My walk my talk the way I dress It’s not my fault so please don’t trip
Don’t hate me cause I’m beautiful Don’t hate me cause I’m beautiful

Now were you at, If your looking for me you can catch me
Cameras flashing, daddies turned his head as soon as I passed him Girls think I’m conceded cause I think I’m attraction
Don’t worry about what I think why don’t you ask him

Get yourself together don’t hate(don't do it), jealous is the ugliest trait(ohh, don't do it)
I can talk about it cause I know that I’m pretty
If you know it too then ladies sing it with me


Now I have to admit the song was catchy and I would probably dance to it in the car if I heard it but as a mother I have to say that this was the wrong performance for this particular float…that was meant to encouraging “inner strength” in young girls.

You can watch it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vMY1UO8P48&feature=player_embedded

No comments:

Post a Comment