Saturday, November 20, 2010

Homemade Ornaments & Chewy Molasses Cookies

     Every year while my son is at school and my husband is working I go out and pick a Christmas tree. I like taking my time to find the “one”, getting it home, letting the branches drop, making sure that it is all ready when everyone comes home that day. In fact in the 7 years that I’ve had my own family I only missed this tradition once…while on bed rest with my daughter. Growing up we usually went out together as a family and cut a tree down at a local tree farm. A tradition I will probably start with my family when my children get a bit older, but for now Mommy gets to surprise the family with a tree each year.



     My mothers tree is full of ornaments, old and new, many of them made by us as children and full of memories. It the one thing that I miss the most about the family Christmas tree. Our tree has the typical “Baby’s 1st Christmas” ornaments and many store bought ones as well. It is very festive and beautiful but just isn’t the same. So I have started a new tradition with my children, each year they each make a Homemade ornament. So one day our Christmas tree will be filled with homemade ornaments and lots of memories.

Salt Dough Ornaments

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup table salt
1/2 cup warm water
cookie cutters
straw
paints/glitter/glue/beads/food coloring (to decorate)
ribbon (to hang)

Directions:

Mix ingredients in a bowl then knead on a floured surface, incorporating more flour as needed until the dough is pliable and not sticky. Roll out as you would do for cookies, about 1/4 inch thick. Cut out with cutters and place on baking tray. Make a hole at the top of the cookie with the straw. Bake in a 200 degree oven for 2 hours or until hard. When cool, paint & decorate, let dry. Hang ornaments with ribbon.

* I suggest painting a coat of clear polyurethane finish (you can get it at any Michaels or Wal-Mart) to your completed ornaments. It makes it extra shiny and will keep for years. You can make multiple batches and add food coloring to each for extra fun.

 

Chewy Molasses Cookies

3/4 cup butter, melted 
1 cup brown sugar 
1 egg 
1/4 cup molasses 
2 cups all-purpose flour 
1 teaspoons baking soda 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves 
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger 
1/2 cup white sugar (for rolling)

Directions

In a medium bowl, mix together the melted margarine, 1 cup brown sugar, and egg until smooth. Stir in the molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger; blend into the molasses mixture. Cover, and chill dough for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Roll dough into walnut sized balls, and roll them in the white sugar. Place cookies 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until tops are cracked. Cool on wire racks.


No comments:

Post a Comment