Monday, September 27, 2010

School Lunch Menu

     Right now School lunch programs are be scrutinized by the media and health care professionals for being unhealthy and damaging to children. I have to say that my son eats the school lunches in our public school district and I couldn’t be happier with the menu. Sometimes I think he may eat a better lunch than I do! This is his upcoming weeks lunch menu:

Monday:  Whole Wheat Tyson Chicken Nuggets, Roasted Potatoes, Fresh Corn, Fresh Fruit, Choice of Milk: skim, 1%, chocolate or 4oz Fruit Juice

Tuesday:  Baked Scoops, Homemade Cheese Sauce, Turkey Taco Meat, Salsa, Brown Rice & Beans, Cucumber Chips with Lite Dip, Fresh Fruit, Choice of Milk: skim, 1%, chocolate or 4oz Fruit Juice

Wednesday: Pasta w/Fresh Marinara Side of Meatballs, Whole Wheat Italian Bread, Lettuce & Carrot, Salad w/Italian Dressing, Fresh Fruit, Choice of Milk: skim, 1%, chocolate or 4oz Fruit Juice

Thursday:  Grilled Cheddar Cheese On wheat/white, Chicken Noodle Soup, Orange Smiles, Chocolate Pudding, Choice of Milk: skim, 1%, chocolate or 4oz Fruit Juice

Friday:  Whole Grain Pizza, Orzo w/Shredded Carrots, Parmesan Broccoli, Fruit Cup, Choice of Milk: skim, 1%, chocolate or 4oz Fruit Juice

Everyday offers alternatives if the children do not like the main meal provided. The daily alternatives include:

Chicken Caesar Salad lunchserved with Fresh Fruit, Whole Wheat Bread, Choice of Milk: skim, 1%, chocolate or 4oz Fruit Juice

Bagel lunch: Bagel & Cream Cheese, Yogurt, Cheese & Whole Wheat Crackers, Fresh Fruit, Choice of Milk: skim, 1%, chocolate or 4oz Fruit Juice: 

Reduced Sugar Cereal Lunch: with Milk, Yogurt, Fresh Fruit, Cheese & Whole Wheat Crackers, Choice of Milk: skim, 1%, chocolate or 4oz Fruit Juice:


I also love that our schools use fresh vegetables from our local Jersey farms! I have to give credit to the person who creates and enforces the school lunch menu in our district, it gives me one less thing to worry about during the day. If I see something I think isn't so healthy then I pack my son a lunch for that day. What are your children eating in your school district?

2 comments:

  1. If a parent isn't happy with the lunches the school provides then the parent can make lunch for their child. Also I feel it is the parents’ job to teach their children about making healthy choices not the schools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. If your school isn't providing a healthy meal than pack a healthy meal for your child. I'm lucky that Conner loves healthy stuff, usually choosing the salad option and milk for his daily lunch. Then again look at the things we ate at school and we are still alive!

    ReplyDelete