Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Making New Friends

     Although it's hard for me to believe, our daughter is turning 4 years old this December. When our son Conner was born I worked full time as a preschool teacher and that meant full time daycare for him. When he turned three I left my job to stay home with him, working part-time at night as a pharmacy technician while my husband was home. Nine (slightly complicated) months later our daughter Anjali was born. She has never had the experience of daycare because I'm home all day. While it has been my dream to be a SAHM it has come to my attention recently that it may be a slight disadvantage for her.

     Now I was a preschool teacher for 3-4 year olds for about 6-7 years so its not that I can't teach her or that she is behind other children her age. It's more of the social interaction that I feel she is missing out on. Anjali is a very outgoing, she must say hello to everyone we pass, and gets offended if she doesn’t get a response in return! She an attention hog and will jump in front of your camera even if she doesn’t know you…seriously if anyone out there has a strange blond child in there photos it may be my daughter! I needed to find a solution to her getting more socialization and me not being ready to give her up and put her into preschool…

Terhune Orchards

     So I signed her up for Read & Pick classes at a local farm, they read story books and then pick apples, flowers, pumpkins…you get the point. Next week they will be making scarecrows and I can‘t wait. But her favorite thing, and personally my favorite too, is dance class. She is joined by about 8 other little girls, who love dancing and share very similar personalities. We are only on week 2 but so far I’m loving it…almost as much as she is! She is making new friends and so am I…very important when being home with a 3 year old all day. So next year we will be joining preschool 3 days a week, but for now this has proven to be exactly what we were looking for!
The Dance Corner

No comments:

Post a Comment