Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Meatloaf attempt!

     So I’m making meatloaf for the first time in over a year. My husband is not a big fan of meatloaf but I have always enjoyed it. I’m using an old recipe that I have never made for him so maybe he will enjoy this one…we’ll have to wait and see! I do know that the sauce on this meatloaf is sweeter than most others, so my children will love it. I’ll let you know the verdict tomorrow…


Meatloaf Ingredients: 
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
¼ cup bread crumbs or boxed stuffing mix (ground into crumbs)
1 egg
1 small sweet onion finely chopped 
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 tablespoons ketchup
1/2 cup whole milk (may need less)

Sauce 
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar packed firm (to taste) 
1/2 cup ketchup

Combine all of the ingredients for the sauce and set aside. Combine all the meatloaf ingredients together and place into loaf baking dish. Smooth out the top of the loaf. Pour the sauce on the top and sides on the meatloaf. 

Bake at 350°F about 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes or until done.

Anyone else out there have a good meatloaf recipe I can try?

4 comments:

  1. I have a good one but it's at work (where I do all my computer stuff) I'll give it to you tomrrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try the mccormick seasoning packet for meatloaf. It is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have just a meatloaf recipe, I make my meatloaf and meatballs all at once to freeze for the month. please adjust the amounts lol

    50ish Meatballs and one Meatloaf
    6 Pounds of meat (1/2 hot sausage ½ ground beef)
    5 Slices day-old Italian bread
    4 Eggs
    3 Red Onions
    2 cup store breadcrumbs
    1 cup Parmesan or Romano cheese ( I use ½ and ½ )
    1/2 bulb garlic (peel and minced)
    1/3 cup of basil (Clean and chop )
    1/4 bunch fresh parsley (Clean and chop)
    4 tablespoons of salt .10
    2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce .15
    fresh-cracked black pepper

    1. Add meat to a large bowl and set aside. Use the food processer to make bread crumbs add ½ jar of Italian seasoning to the bread crumbs. Dump the bread crumbs on top of the meat. Mince the onion and garlic thru the food processer then add to meat mixture. Combine all the remaining ingredients and mix nicely, add more breadcrumb or egg to get a “play-doh mixture”

    2. Preheat 375 (just for meatloaf!) Pull out 3 baking sheet and line with paper, make 2 to 3 inches in size meatballs (about 50 meatballs) place in refrigerate for 30 minutes or overnight. Make one meatloaf with the remaining meat and bake for 60 minutes, once done baking cool to freeze.

    3. Fry the meatballs on two sides (3 minutes per side) then bake for 20 minutes at 375 then place in sauce for the remainder of the day.

    4. Remove from sauce later and cool then freeze. This makes about 4-5 dinner depending on the meal.
    Only buy the meat when it is less than $2 per pound and buy the store’s discounted old bread; the meatballs and meatloaf will cost less than $20 and should serve 15-17 people!

    Italian seasoning
    6 tablespoons dried basil
    6 tablespoons dried oregano
    6 tablespoons dried parsley
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    2 teaspoons dried thyme
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    **Fills jar**

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! So my husbands said "Its not bad, this I'll eat again"...that is huge for a meatloaf hater! Not to mention my picky children liked it too.

    ReplyDelete