Monday, March 25, 2013

DIY Farmhouse Table...$130 total!


So I decided that at 30 years old, having 3 children now and buying our first home, that it was time for us to own a “grown up” table. Something that wasn't put together with a tool that is included in the box! I wanted a place that all of us could sit for meals and maybe even some extra room for guests when they visit. While I wasn't extremely picky about the look of the table (although my husband would probably disagree with that statement), I was very picky about how much I wanted to spend. I mean come on…why can’t I have a farmhouse style table that sits 8-10 people for under $300. Is that really asking too much? Apparently it was…so I had to either change my plans or change my budget.

Those who know me, know that I’m not great at compromising when I have a plan set in my mind. So I decided my very talented and handy husband could certainly find a way to get me that beautiful table and save us money. Boy was I right! I showed him the picture of what I wanted. 


I found it on Pinterest (where else!). He found the plans online at this wonderful website http://ana-white.com/2009/12/plans-farmhouse-table-knock-off-of.html, went off to Lowes to buy the wood, came home and made me a table right in our dining room in just 4 hrs!



After a good sanding I stained it with a color called gun stock  added polyurethane for protection, and viola…a masterpiece! I now have a beautiful 8 ft long farmhouse table that can fit our whole family plus guests. Our only change from the actual plans were to omit the stretcher (long piece of wood that runs under the table) because I could just picture my children hanging all over it!

Its huge! I'm in love

Bad lighting...sorry

Don't mind the mess


Total cost for the wood, a new toy (Kreg jig) my husband needed…oops I meant tool  ;)  the sanding materials and the stain/polyurethane I picked out came to…$130. I can’t even describe how many times I passed by the dining room just to look at it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment